Here are some of the important issues raised and my take on this matter.
– #Plastic Production makes up 3.5% of global #carbonemissions and several initiatives currently involve Global Partners for #PlasticCircularity.
– #governments potentially need to create enabling conditions to access raw material for #plasticrecycling (currently there is significant leakage to #landfill sites and the #environment) and optimize use of plastic by creating a supportive Legal Framework
– Elimination of plastic pollution is certainly possible however holistic global solutions are required.
– packaging materials require #design rethink.
– #energyefficiency, #emissions and #heat generation needs to be considered when recycling mechanically or chemically and it is important to consider alternates to plastic usage
– #investment should be focused on large scale solutions while currently #money is being diverted to niche solutions
– #standardisation is critical for effective recycling – such as regulations on collection and disposal , Landfill taxes, Carbon Taxes etc
I believe there is a global recognition for this issue and there is support for rules similar to CFCs to deal with #plasticpollution.
Few billion dollars question is that whether global community is focused enough to support such an initiative before it is too late.